Driven by Eternity - John Bevere





What drives you?

Is it success?

Is it the glory of man or the love of money?

For oh so long, success drove me. 

I wanted to beat everyone else and be the best at what I did. Money didn't really matter - I just thought if I was good at what I did, the money would come. Success was not only what I wanted, but it's what I had to have - because it was the only time I felt good about myself. 

As long as I was winning, I could accept myself. As long as there was another award, I was OK - because I had an award, a trophy, a fellowship, a nomination or something tangible to prove it. But on the inside, I still felt horrible. There came a period in my life where the awards dried up, the fellowships stopped flowing, and there were no more accolades. 

It was just me, myself, and I - and a boatload of disappointments, unfulfilled dreams, depression and despair. Everything I touched turned to rot, and I began to question, who am I? As in, really, who am I?

Now, I've always been a Christian. A goody-two-shoes, no less. But God revealed to me that my brand of Christianity was more self-righteous than righteous. I was judgmental, critical, and unkind in numerous ways. I was pious, unloving and not very gentle until God softened and change my heart. I'm maturing now, and a Christian in transition. I'm still a hardcore, bible believer, but I hope I express my beliefs differently now. I'm trying to work more on my relationship with Christ - versus yours, and I'm praying to know Him more. I'm also thinking a lot more about eternity. 

Last week I stumbled on a sermon by John Bevere that had me near tears, and thought it worth sharing. It's called Driven by Eternity, and it questions how having an eternal perspective should change how we live now.  It's not just about getting into heaven - it's about being held accountable to everything that God has written about you in the Lamb's Book of Life. If the sermon's too long, check out the four-minute video. See what you think. 





Know that I love you each, L. 

Comments

Popular Posts